Volunteering at a Special Zoological Facility
1 of our most popular volunteering choices is the Zoological facility located on the Garden Route, Western Cape. The facility boasts with a highly successful volunteering program, open to individuals from all over the world. On average, the project hosts roughly 15 volunteers weekly, providing accommodation either at the Volunteer house or at the Lodge, should individuals want more upmarket accommodation. Their program is structured in such a way that you are not only educated and trained to be a helping individual at the facility, but also to ensure that you take part in all aspects of the project, thus giving you the opportunity to work with over 90 different animal species!
Volunteer shifts are Mondays – Fridays 08:00 – 16:00 where you will be taking part in the following activities daily:
- Animal feeding and handling
- Animal bonding and inspection
- Enrichment research, design, construction and implementation
- Observation and recording of animal behaviours
- Team work and problem solving
- Research and data capture
- Enclosure, cleaning, maintenance and upkeep
- Cheetah walks
- Elephant walks
- Crocodile Cage diving
The species you will have the opportunity to work with:
- Cheetah (during certain times of the year Cheetah cubs as well)
- Bengal Tiger
- White Lion
- African Leopard
- Ring Tailed lemur
- Pygmy Hippopotamus
- Slender Tailed Meerkats
- Farmyard animals
- Various Reptiles and Amphibians
- Various Birds and Mammals.
On weekends, you receive free time, to where you will have the chance to do several activities located on the Garden Route:
- Visit Buffelsdrift Game Lodge & Spa
- Skydiving with Ocean view
- Visit the Caves
- Bungee jumping
- Shark cage diving
- Any activity the group decides on, which is in the area
During your time at the project, your fee will include the following:
- Accommodation – Either the Volunteer house or the Lodge (20% fee increase applicable)
- 3 Meals daily (Breakfast lunch and dinner) – They also cater for Vegetarians, Vegans etc.
- Weekly trip to town for needed essentials
- Volunteering – All activities at the project
If you are looking for an experience of a lifetime, look no further! As the most popular South African Animal Volunteer program for 2016, many individuals have visited and truly embraced the program that they offer. Whether you are 18 or 55, the program truly gives every person the much-needed satisfaction of playing an active part in conservation of South Africa’s Wildlife, also educates and informs, so that you will be able to act as an ambassador when you return home.
In 2016, we sent over 65 individuals to this project, thus showing the popularity. With a scheduled program, accommodation and meals daily, this is totally the all inclusive volunteering project you have been searching for.
“The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton