Big 5 conservation at Kruger National Park
The program is a great opportunity to assist in conservation efforts in the Kruger national park area. The project stretches over 32 000 km2 of land, where animals can roam freely as nature intended. This makes a wildlife sighting so much more special when spending time volunteering at the project, where you get a first-row seat in seeing the Big 5 exactly the way nature intended it.
The project makes its contribution by assisting in the overall management of the reserve as well as collecting data of the animals & vegetation of the area. This is an ideal project for anyone who is passionate about the conservation of wildlife and wants to see the Great Kruger region.
- Arrive and depart from Hoedspruit
- Minimum age requirement of 16
- Volunteer 2 – 12 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All project transport included
- Accommodation & Meals provided
- Price starting from 770€ (2 Weeks)
People who are interested in joining the program should keep in mind that the work is broken down into different parts during the course of the year.
The team has projects which are on-going and continuous such as:
- Elephant photography identification
- Waterhole and camera traps (research)
- Rhino monitoring
- Management of alien vegetation
- Teaching about conservation at local schools
The following areas are dependent on which time of the year you wish to volunteer:
January, February & March:
- Monitoring of the ecological capacity of the reserve
May, June & July:
- Predator analysis
August & September:
- Yearly game (wildlife) count and herd surveys
- The phytomass (above-ground biomass) surveys
Volunteers are rotated on a weekly basis to ensure they are exposed to all details of the program.
Important facts regarding the project:
- Is the area Malaria-free? The project is situated in a low-risk Malaria area. Be sure to speak to your local doctor in regards to medication.
- When did the project start? The project started in 2008.
- How many volunteers can help? 10 Volunteers can help at any given time.
Volunteers will spend their time living in a camp-type environment. The camp has basic accommodation, (chalets) an open air lapa, (communal area) kitchen as well as open air bathroom. Participants should keep in mind that it is not a lodge and there are no bars, swimming pools or air-conditioning – You receive the authentic bush experience!
Volunteers should understand that South Africa has an ever-changing environment, power failures, water & fuel shortages, temperature fluctuations and uncontrollable/unplanned situations can occur. Thus it’s important to remain flexible, understanding and and have a good sense of humor!
The accommodation is a “open camp” which effectively means that the local wildlife/animals can move freely through the camps should they wish to do so.
The chalets are built of brick and have a thatched roof which keeps them nice and cool. Each chalets has it’s own solar lights but there are no private power outlets located inside. There are power outlets available at the communal area. (the lapa)
Bedding is provided but please be sure to pack your own towels.
The bathroom facilities:
The bathroom facilities are open-aired and has flushing toilets and cold water showers.
- 3 Meals provided daily (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Tea, Coffee and safe drinking water provided
Please note: Any extra snacks, alcohol or soft drinks will be for your own cost and can be purchased during your weekly trip to town. You should try and budget R500.00 (33€) per week extra.
Please note: If you apply in 2019 to start in 2020 you will still receive the rates below!
Calculate the fees in your own currency
Calculate the fees in your own currency
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Hoedspruit airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
2019: (Please note: If you book in 2019 to start in 2020 we will still give you the below rate)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+349€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+600€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+890€)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (To be released 01 December2019)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (To be released 01 December2019)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (To be released 01 December2019)