Big 5 Wildlife reserve (Malaria-free)
Ever wanted to experience the Big 5 and learn all about it? In this Animal Adventure near Port Elizabeth you live and work in a Big 5 reserve!
It is an exciting animal welfare project where you experience more than a safari. The project is located near a beautiful small coastal town. There are great beaches, beach bars and everything your heart desires.
- Arrive in Port-Elizabeth on Mondays
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 2 – 12 weeks
- Airport transfers excluded (+90€ total)
- Accommodation & Meals provided
- Price starting from 1225€ (2020)
There is a permanent volunteer co-ordinator who will be your point of contact throughout your stay. You learn everything from her, you will work closely with her and you can ask her all your questions. Her motto: “Do every activity with enthusiasm and the best of your ability. The more you are in, the more you are going to get out of this experience. Work hard, play hard, and have fun! “
It also supports a community project where volunteers can teach English and other subjects at a local farm school.
The tasks in the project are manifold. The important thing is that you are ready to immerse yourself in life there and help where help is needed. This is how you experience the normal course of such a project and gain insight into different areas of work.
Volunteers are involved in the following aspects:
• Conservation Management
• Community Development
- You observe elephants and their patterns of movement, analyze the influence on the vegetation and collect data.
- Another important project in this area is the observation of lions.
- Some of the animals are equipped with chips, so you learn how to use tracking systems and what to look for.
- Surveillance and investigation of the leopard population in the reserve using cameras is also one of the tasks.
- Volunteers check the cameras, swap out the memory cards, collect the footage and much more.
- There is also a project to catalog the birds in the reserve and study their breeding behavior.
- Animal counting
- Removal of invasive plants
- Erosion control
- Removal of old fences
- Road maintenance
- Parasite control
In addition, there is sometimes the opportunity for volunteers to participate in extraordinary work, such as capturing wild animals Animals, the incorporation of new animals into the reserve or fire management. During your stay, you will participate in numerous bush walks, game drives and sleep outs in the bush. You will not forget these experiences so fast!
Education & Community development:
- If you want, you can get involved in a small local farm school.
- There are children taught at the age of 5-14 years, there are hardly any teachers and materials so that the help of volunteers is very welcome.
- You work there once a week, teach in English and other subjects or do sports with the children.
- For example, a group of volunteers has renovated a classroom so their own ideas are welcome.
- If you want to add a social aspect to your stay, this is a great opportunity!
Volunteer working hours:
- As a volunteer, you will work from Mondays – Fridays from 07:30 AM – 17:00 PM
- 1 – 2-hour lunch breaks during workdays
- Weekends are free time
- Optional activities are sometimes organized by the project for weekends.
Important information regarding the project:
- Any age limitations to the project? Volunteers between 18 – 60 years may apply. If you are older, you will be required to complete and sign a form.
- When was the project founded? The project was founded in 2004.
- How many volunteers can help? 10 Volunteers at any given time.
- Can I volunteer only for certain periods of the year? You can volunteer all year round. The project is extremely popular, so be sure to book well in advance to ensure that your place is confirmed.
You live directly on the site of the project in a house, along with other volunteers. You sleep in shared rooms, there are two bathrooms, a living room with a pool table, a lounge, a TV, etc., a dining room and a fully equipped kitchen. In the garden, there is a swimming pool and a barbecue area.
There is no telephone in the project. WiFi is available to volunteers in the house. The laundry is washed by domestic help.
All ingredients are provided for the meals. The volunteers are divided into cooking teams, so everyone cooks for everyone. Please note that special eating habits (except vegetarian) can not be taken into consideration. Of course, you can also buy something to eat during the trips to the city.
- Accommodation provided at a volunteer house located at the project. (Shared rooms)
- Facilities include 2 bathrooms, a living room with pool table, a lounge and a TV, a dining room and fully equipped kitchen.
- Swimming pool & barbeque area.
- Wifi (internet access) provided
- Laundry service via domestic help
- All ingredients provided for meals
- Volunteers are divided into teams, so everyone will cook for everyone. (Please note: any special dietary requirements except vegetarian can not be accommodated.)
Calculate the fees in your own currency
Calculate the fees in your own currency
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight suggestions & checking of Medical/Travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- All project-related transport (During your time spent at the project
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
- Return flights from the country of origin
- Airport transfers (+90€ for pick up and drop off paid locally)
- Any items of personal nature
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
- 7 Day Cape Town experience +449€
- 7 Day Garden route adventure +649€
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo +999€