Children’s Home near Cape Town
Around 140 children with and without disabilities, children of all skin colors and ages, live in this
volunteer project near Cape Town.
The children’s home has focused on supporting the children
and thus enabling them to develop their full potential and later lead an independent life on their own two feet.
The home is designed so that the children are accommodated in 12 residential units.
The children are transported to schools or to various leisure activities every day. The goal is to lead the children back to a safe family environment as soon as possible.
The home provides the children with a safe and nice environment with care, clothes, schooling, and a balanced diet.
The young children mainly speak Afrikaans (so you will certainly learn a few new words as well), but most of the children also speak good English.
It is the largest project and there is space for up to 20 volunteers at the same time (but there are
also, times when there are only about 5 volunteers in the project, it always depends on the season).
We are happy to place you in this project together with a friend (if there are enough places available).
This project is always extremely popular with volunteers, so it is best to apply early.
- Applications are open to start from 15 January 2021
- Arrive and depart from Cape Town any weekday
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 8 weeks – 12 months
- Airport transfers included
- Accommodation provided
- Meals provided
- Price starting from …€ (8 weeks)
- Applications are free!
- 250€ Deposit confirms your booking
- Balance payable 2 weeks prior to arrival.
Volunteer Cancellation Policy:
- Full refund if your trip is affected by COVID-19 related reasons.
- Cancellation more than 4 weeks prior to arrival: 100€ Cancellation fee
- Cancellation 4 weeks or less prior to arrival: 200€ Cancellation fee
- Life skills & Sport
Volunteers are divided into teams and they need to be willing to work shifts. Volunteers will assist by doing night shift duty in the home. This includes monitoring the children during night-time and reporting any incidents to the social worker like consoling a child having a nightmare. Day shift work includes transporting the children to and from school with the transportation of the home. Volunteers can also become involved with helping the children with homework or playing with them in the afternoon.
- The volunteers are like big sisters and brothers to the children and accompany them in everyday life.
- The tasks of the volunteers are very diverse in this project.
- In the first weeks, you start with night shifts, put the children to bed, and check the rooms regularly at night.
- You support the other employees in getting the children ready for school
- Help them prepare food and play with the children.
In addition to the day and night shifts, there are other fixed areas of responsibility :
- 2-3 volunteers are always needed as drivers.
- The children must be taken to school or driven to the doctor.
- In addition, it is possible that you will also do some shopping.
Since this project has a large number of international volunteers, there is a volunteer manager who takes on the coordination and distribution of tasks on site. Once a week there is a meeting with all the other volunteers and the staff.
You work as a volunteer either in two-week shifts or from Monday to Friday.
- The day shift is normally from 07:00 AM to 17:00 PM with lunch and tea breaks.
- The night shift is normally from 18:00 PM to 07:00 AM.
- Volunteers will receive off-days on a rotational basis and they will have leave days which they
can apply for.
The accommodation is on the premises but separate from the children. Volunteers are accommodated in groups within apartments where two volunteers share a bedroom at a time.
The kitchen and bathroom are communal. There is a swimming pool on the premises which may be used on arrangement. Bedding is provided, but volunteers are asked to bring their own bath and swimming towel.
2020 & 2021:
|No of Weeks
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight suggestions & checking of travel insurance
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off)
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)