Community upliftment project near Cape Town
The project was established in 2004 in the beautiful Winelands region on the outskirts of Cape Town. Situated amongst the vineyard landscapes are previously disadvantaged communities who still struggle an ongoing battle with poverty & all other social ills relating to this. The project has an holistic approach to addressing these social ills & also uplift their community.
- Arrive and depart from Cape Town
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 1 – 52 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- 1 Night in Cape Town included
- All project transport included
- Accommodation & meals provided
- Price starting from 446€ (2019)
The project brings the youth together with recreational activities like dancing & sport – taking them from the street where they often fell prey to gangs & drug dealers. The project also invests in cleaning the parks and streets of their community. Many of the elderly enjoy reading a book in the park or taking their small grandchildren to play outside. The project is also involved in the operations of a local day care facility that provides care & development to children up to the age of 5. Volunteers are provided the opportunity to become involved in all areas.
Volunteer duties & tasks:
Assisting at the daycare by:
- Playing with the children
- Assisting the teacher in the classroom
- Assist with taking children to the bathroom
- Assist the teacher to clean the classroom
- Assist with dishing meals and where needed feeding children.
- Assist with supervising the kids when they take a nap.
Assisting at the administrative office
- helping children on the computer with their homework or an adult community member to type out their CV.
- Assist with general maintenance like painting the container from where the project operates.
Assist with gardening activities:
- Cleaning the parks & pulling out weeds & planting flowers.
- Assist with the creation of garden ornaments from trash material.
Assisting with community projects:
- Assist with teaching the children a dance recital & being involved when they perform.
- Assist with coaching the children in soccer or cricket.
- Volunteers can indicate where they would like to be involved if they have an interest in specific areas of the project.
Volunteer working hours:
- Volunteers will work on rotational basis either 08:00am – 16:00pm & 09:00am – 17:00pm. (Mondays – Fridays)
- Saturdays & Sundays there might be activities like concerts or sports events for which volunteers will receive a day off during the following week.
Requirements to volunteer:
- Being 18 years & older
- Males & Females are welcome to apply
- Submit a police clearance certificate prior to arrival
- Be flexible, innovative & hardworking & a team player.
- Be open to engaging with the community.
In this program, you have the choice between studio apartment accommodation or staying with a host family in the community.
Studio apartment accommodation:
- Private accommodation
- Wifi (internet)
- Bedding & pillows provided
- Each room has a heater and a fan
- Housekeeping service daily
Facilities at the apartment include:
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Complimentary tea & coffee
- Safe parking if you have a rental car
- Satellite television (South African version of SKY)
- Laundry service is available at an extra charge per load
- Towels on arrival (please bring your own swimming towel)
Host family accommodation:
The family’s home is situated in a quiet suburban area close to the project. Volunteers will share a room with two single beds. The bathroom, lounge, and kitchen are shared with the rest of the family. The host family provides transport to the volunteer to & from the project. The family has four members being a mom, dad, and their two daughters. They enjoy going out to the movies together & their wish is for volunteers to feel part of their family & join these activities. The host mom will ensure volunteers have clean bedding once a week & that their room is also cleaned once a week.
Host family accommodation includes:
- Shared accommodation with bedding & pillows included (2 single beds)
- The kitchen & lounge area in the main house is shared.
- laundry -and cleaning services are included in the fee. (1x per week)
- The family offers volunteers breakfast daily
- Daily transport to the project is included
Host family option:
Extra weeks: 67€ per week (Maximum 52 weeks)
Studio apartment option: (Private accommodation)
If you would like to stay in a single or double room, please let us know when applying.
Extra weeks: 374€ per week (Maximum 52 weeks) (Excludes daily transport to project)
Calculate the fees in your own currency
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Hoedspruit airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
If you want to stay longer than 3 months (12 weeks) a “Volunteer Visa” will be required. – We can assist you in the whole process
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
2019: (Please note: If you book in 2019 to start in 2020, we will give you the below rates)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (349€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+600€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+890€)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (To be released 01 December 2019)