Volunteer at a Big 5 Game reserve in Eastern Cape (Malaria-free)
Located in the heart of the Eastern Cape, this volunteering opportunity enables you to spend your day working on a Wildlife Game reserve which fences one of South Africa’s biggest National Parks!
Enjoy taking Game drives, helping with the general maintenance, taking part in surveys and even assist the Anti Poaching unit. The reserve is also involved with a social project in the area, teaching young individuals about HIV awareness and taking part in several community outreach initiatives.
The area of the project is Malaria-free, making it an ideal location to experience the Big 5 in their most natural form.
This is an ideal opportunity for individuals looking to get physically involved with the conservation of wildlife, but also getting the first hand knowledge and experiences which involves around the wildlife of South Africa.
What could be in the volunteering program:
- Game viewing activities (animal identification and tracking)
- Receiving lectures in regards to conservation, management of reserves and maintenance/upkeep thereof.
- General maintenance work needed to be done at the reserve.
- Capturing of wildlife species
- Bird related activities such as classification and orientation.
- Canoe and Boat trips
- Gather useful insight on Xhosa African culture
- Learn more about sustainable food production.
- Take part in social development of the community weekly.
- Assistance with Veterinary related aspects
- Wildlife management
- Guided walks
- Learn more about the medicinal use of plants
- Alien vegetation management
Typical working day as a volunteer:
As a volunteer, you will be kept busy from Mondays – Fridays with the work days an average of 8 hours per day. During the weekends, you will enjoy leisure time. You can choose to stay on the reserve, go sightseeing or take part in various extra additional adventures you may find in the area (We provide you with a list of possible activities/attractions you can choose from)
Average work day:
- Breakfast is served at 07:00 AM with collection at the volunteer house being @ 07:30 AM
- From 08:00 AM – 13:00 PM you will take part in various reserve related activities
- Lunch time is at 13:00 PM either at the reserve or volunteer accommodation (Approximately 1 hour)
- From 14:00 PM – 16:00 PM the afternoon work commences.
- Your day ends with fence checking and patrolling while on your way to the volunteer accommodation
Program options available:
- Direct arrival (Volunteer only) Starts from 665€
- Cape Town tour week (7 Days) + Volunteer
- Cape Town & Garden Route tour (14 Days) + Volunteer
- Garden route tour (6 Days) + Volunteer