Johannesburg Children’s Center
The aim of this volunteer project is to give orphaned, neglected, disadvantaged, and abused babies and children a new home and the chance for a better life.
The children’s center, located between Johannesburg and Pretoria, is a Christian charity founded in 2000 and consisting of 2 different areas which are a baby home and a pre-school.
- Arrive and depart from Johannesburg
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 8 weeks – 12 months
- Airport transfers included
- Accommodation provided
- Price starting from 500€ (8 weeks)
- Applications are free!
- 250€ Deposit confirms your booking
- Balance payable 2 weeks prior to arrival.
Volunteer Cancellation Policy:
- Full refund if your trip is affected by COVID-19 related reasons.
- Cancellation more than 4 weeks prior to arrival: 100€ Cancellation fee
- Cancellation 4 weeks or less prior to arrival: 200€ Cancellation fee
- Child Care
- Life Skills
There are over 120 children attending the school from Mondays – Fridays. The aim of the project is to give children a good level of education without the parents having to pay for school fees. It’s important to remember that poverty is a big problem in South Africa, with a lot of parents not having enough money to pay for a good level of education.
They focus largely on early childhood development and preparation for Primary school. Each child is provided lunch daily and the children also have the opportunity to develop their fine motor skills and take part in various sporting activities.
The following are tasks which will be expected from volunteers:
- Assisting children with eating
- Assisting children with brushing of teeth, hair etc.
- Assistance with events (Baking, fundraising etc.)
- Assisting the local teachers in the classroom (lessons etc.)
- Creating teaching materials, posters etc.
- Playing games with the children (indoors & on the playground)
The working hours:
There are 3 shifts each day which are rotated on a weekly basis
- 07:00 AM – 16:00 PM
- 07:30 AM – 16:30 PM
- 08:00 AM – 17:00 PM
Tea break is from 09:45 AM – 10:00 & lunch break from 13:00 PM – 14:00 PM
You will be expected to work from Mondays – Fridays each week. On weekends (Saturdays & Sundays) you will have leisure time to relax and enjoy everything that Cape Town has on offer. The location of the project makes it ideal for volunteers to book some tours or even explore by themselves with the rest of the volunteering group.
Some important information:
- When did the project start? The project has been running successfully since the 1960’s
- Any special features to consider? The project is based on Christian values which should be respected at all times. The children come from various different religious backgrounds.
- WiFi available at the project? Yes. The internet may be used daily from 18:00 PM
- How many volunteers can work at the project? 8 Volunteers can be accommodated at any given time.
- Is the school open all year round? The school closes yearly between mid-December until early January.
The accommodation is provided by the project. You will be accommodated in a single room. It can be natural, if there is a large group of volunteers, that you have to share the accommodation. But this will be tried to prevent it! Some rooms have their own bathroom.
Meals are not included, but there is a kitchen on-site that can be used and is perfect for cooking together. The bed linen and towels are provided, so you don’t need to bring them with you. A washing machine is available on the project site for washing laundry. Free WiFi is available on site.
2020 & 2021:
|No of Weeks||Price|
You can stay for a maximum of 12 months. Should you want to stay longer than 3 months, a volunteer visa will be required. We assist you through the whole process.
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight suggestions & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off)
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)