Marine wildlife project
The project combines environmental protection, sustainability, education, community development and tourism.
The experienced team will help you settle in and learn all about environmental and animal welfare in the area. In many community projects, you have the opportunity to share your knowledge with others, thus contributing to the enlightenment and understanding of this important topic.
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer for 2 – 12 Weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All transport to project included
- Accommodation & Meals provided
- Price starting from 1099€ (2019)
Your main contact will be Jared, the manager of the project. He will assist you in all logistical matters. The research area is subordinate to Minke. She has a Master’s in Marine Biology and is an experienced diver. Michael is the house manager and responsible for the welfare of the volunteers. If you have questions, you can always contact him. Teliswa is responsible for the food, the cleanliness in the house, the laundry, etc. The whole project team is always there for the volunteers and is happy to share their experiences!
Projects you will help with include:
- Sustainable development and education programs in elementary and preschools
- Educational workshops in elementary and preschools
- Teaching English in disadvantaged pre-schools (at least once a week)
- Assistance in a soup kitchen (at least once a week)
- Playful care of children with Disabilities
- Clearing on beaches and coasts
- Rescuing birds and sea creatures on the beaches
- Mariner eco-tourism (whale and dolphin tours)
- Assistance in nearby sanctuaries
Example of the work week as a volunteer:
The working hours:
As a rule, you work from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. The weekends are free. Please note that the tasks may vary and depend on the current needs of the project. Bad weather can hamper the research. Other tasks will then be distributed.
- From January to March are the warmest months. It can be from 10-30 degrees. During this time you will see many dolphins and sometimes whales on the tours.
- From April to June it is still warm, but the evenings are getting cooler. Temperatures range between 8-25 degrees. Also in these months you can see dolphins and humpback whales on their way to the north.
- From July to September are the winter months in South Africa. The day starts with cool temperatures, but during the day it can still get warm to 20 degrees. The nights are also quite cool with 5 degrees. There is no central heating in South Africa, so you should bring warm clothes accordingly. The whale watching season begins in July and you can see whales in the bay every day.
- The weather conditions from October to December are similar to those from April to June. Humpback whales and dolphins are mainly observed. It gets warmer again and is a good time for diving and snorkeling.
Some important information regarding the project:
- When was the project founded? It was founded in 2000.
- How many volunteers can help? Maximum of 12 volunteers at any given time.
- Are there any time limits to volunteer? The project closes during December. You can volunteer between 2 – 12 weeks.
Basic foods are provided. You can take a packed lunch with you. Dinner is cooked for participants 5 days a week.
Summary of what’s included:
- Accommodation in volunteer house located in town and walkable distance from the project (Max 4 persons per room)
- Bedding provided
- Fully-equipped kitchen
- Laundry facilities
- Wifi (Internet) provided at the volunteer house
- Basic foods are provided
- You can prepare and pack your own lunch
- Dinner is provided 5 days per week.
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Cape Town airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+299€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+550€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+781€)