Penguin project volunteer
The protection of the oceans is one of the central tasks of the future. The sanctuary provides help to penguins and a large number of different seabirds. The project offers a 24-hour emergency service if injured or sick birds are found and helps with oil spills along the South African coast.
The project has been internationally recognized as the first project in the field of seabird rehabilitation, saving more than 2,400 species of seabirds each year.
- Minimum age requirement of 18.
- Volunteer 6 – 12 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All transport to project included
- Meals provided
- Price starting from 1027€ (2019)
Recent research is helping to improve understanding of seabirds:
- Their behavior
- Certain diseases
- Other factors that have a long-term impact on the survival of the animals.
The project will involve a variety of tasks and activities to help you with your experience and knowledge. The longer you stay, the more tasks you will be able to take on in the end. All tasks are distributed evenly and alternately to the volunteers.
- Assist in the release of penguins
- Preparation of the feed
- Feeding the penguins and other seabirds
- Cleaning and cleaning the sanctuary, enclosures and swimming pools
- Assistance in preserving the exhibition of seabirds
- Capture and handling of various seabird species
- Administration of medication
- General tasks in the administrative area of the rescue center
Volunteer working hours:
- Generally, you will work from Mondays – Fridays from 08:00 AM – 17:30 PM
- The exact work plan is determined on-site.
- Some days you will be expected to work on weekends but you will never work more than 5 days a week.
Important information regarding the project:
- Any special features volunteers should be aware of? A current tetanus vaccine is required.
- Internet available at the project? No Wifi available at the project recommended buying a local sim card.
- When was the project founded? 1968
- How many volunteers can attend? 12 – 20 Volunteers at any given time.
You live in a nice hostel during your volunteer work, just 10 minutes from the project. The backpacker is perfectly located to discover life in Cape Town. You will be accommodated in a shared room (4 persons/room). There is a lounge with TV, a swimming pool, a BBQ area and a communal kitchen where you can prepare your food. The rooms are cleaned daily and bed linen is changed once a week. Likewise, you can do your laundry for free once a week. The Internet is at your free disposal.
- Shared accommodation (4 persons per room) walking distance from the project. (10 minutes)
- Lounge with TV
- Swimming pool
- Barbeque (BBQ) area
- Communal kitchen
- Daily cleaning of rooms & linen changed once per week
- Do your own laundry for free once a week
- Free internet access (Wifi)
- If you would like to book private accommodation, please let us know and we will set up a quote. The time of the year you wish to volunteer will affect the price of the private accommodation.
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Cape Town international airport
- 1 Night hostel accommodation in Cape Town
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+299€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+550€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+781€)