Do you love horseback riding and would you like to explore the fantastically beautiful nature of Namibia? Then get involved in the rescue center in the field of horses!
There are currently 12 horses on the farm just waiting to be ridden and tended by volunteers. You take care of them and go on fantastic rides with them (depending on availability and the current situation in the project). You ride the huge reserve, look for broken fences, traps, injured animals and much more. This way you get to know the area up close and get closer to the animals than anyone else. Sometimes you have the unique opportunity to touch a zebra from horseback!
You should be very experienced in handling horses, be able to ride very well and, if possible, have experience working with young animals and horses that need to be broken in.
Note: In the future, this project will also be open to less good riders. Feel free to ask us.
- Duration: 2 – 12 Weeks
- Region: Windhoek, Namibia
- Price per person: From 1149€
- Included: Transfers, Accommodation, 3 Meals Daily, and Volunteer Activities.
Role of the volunteer
You can get involved in the project for at least 2 weeks throughout the year. In the morning you help with the care and feeding, with the training of young and new horses as well as with the taming and rearing of the foals (depending on the current situation in the project). The »Natural Horsemanship« and the Parelli methods are used in the training. These training strategies include playful work and longer rides in the bush with the more experienced horses, where you learn a lot about the relationship between humans and animals. Along with other international volunteers, you’ll go on patrol rides into the steppe to ensure that the reserve remains a sheltered place. The volunteers spend the afternoons feeding and riding the horses.
- Care and feeding of the horses
- Training young horses
- Breeding and care of foals
- Horseback riding in the field
- counting wild animals
- rounding up herds
- Erect and repair fences
Accommodation & Meals
There are 2 options for accommodation when volunteering at the wildlife station:
- Volunteer rooms (up to 3 persons per room of the same sex)
- Large tented accommodation (2 persons of the same sex or couples)
Summary of the accommodation:
- Shared accommodation (Comfortable beds, bedding & pillows are provided)
- Shared bathroom facilities with hot watered showers powered by solar energy
- Electricity is available with sockets available in the common areas
It’s very important to keep in mind that you will be living in the wilderness and should be prepared to adapt to the circumstances you find yourself in during your Namibian adventure!
3 Meals are provided daily:
- Breakfast: Bread and cereals
- Lunch: Pasta, wraps, burgers
- Dinner: Fish, meat, vegetables with rice, potatoes, etc
Please inform us when applying if you have any special dietary requirements.
Volunteering Fees 2023Extra weeks: 509€ per week
- Placement at Project
- Volunteering Handbook & Personal Itinerary
- Airport and Proejct Transfers
- Accommodation & 3 Meals daily
- All Volunteering Activities
- Volunteer Coordinator on-site
- 24/7 Local Emergency Contact
- All flights
- Travel Insurance
The Booking Process
1. Complete our FREE application form
Complete our free online application form indicating when you would like to start and how long you want to participate. We will respond to your request within 24 hours.
2. We send you a invoice and contract
Once we have confirmation of your placement, we will send a invoice and service agreement. You will have two weeks to accept the offer.
3. Deposit payment to secure your booking
Once you have paid the 250€ deposit, we will confirm your placement. The balance of your invoice is only payable two weeks prior to arrival.
Need more information?
At Claim Victory, we understand that booking a trip abroad may seem stressful due to the global pandemic. We offer our participants flexible conditions, to give you peace of mind when booking with us:
- Full refund or Date Change if your trip is affected by COVID-19 related reasons (Illness, border closures, etc.)
- Cancellation 4+ Weeks prior to arrival = 150€ cancellation fee
- Cancellation 4 weeks or less prior to arrival = 200€ cancellation fee