Bird & Wildlife rehabilitation program
The program offers volunteers the opportunity to work with a wide range of different animal species through it’s rehabilitation program. Sick & injured animals are brought to the sanctuary by the local community, the project takes complete care and helps these animals get rehabilitated before they are released back in to the wild.
Some of the animals are unable to be released back in to the wild, making the sanctuary their new home. The sanctuary is also located next to a reserve, which houses various wildlife such as several buck species, Zebras, Giraffes, Buffalo’s and many more!
- Arrival & departure from Port-Elizabeth
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 2 – 12 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All project transfers included
- Accommodation & meals provided
- Price starting from 627€ (2 weeks)
The area of the project is very big so there is always something to do. Almost all of the baby animals at the sanctuary have been rescued and taken to the ward for care. They are rehabilitated and if their health permits they can be released back in to the wild as soon as possible. These animals need a lot of care and attention, making your work as a volunteer very valuable.
Tasks volunteers can expect to get involved in:
- Food preparation and feeding
- Raising of orphaned animals depending on season and conditions.
- Cleaning of cages and enclosures, in some cases also construction and renovation work
- Checking the fences of the reserve, partly observing and collecting data, evaluations
- Working in the restaurant of the sanctuary
- Removal of alien vegetation
- General maintenance work
- Assisting in the clinic
- Spending time with some of the permanent residents (wildlife animals)
You will work 5 days per week with 2 free days (Not always off on weekends)
Accommodation is provided by the project and you will live on-site. There are shared units available, (up to 8 persons) Double and single rooms, showers with hot water & electricity. There is also a living room with a TV which volunteers can make use of during leisure time.
Food is provided:
- Self-service breakfast (cereal, toast, fruits, tea, and coffee)
- Lunch is usually prepared for the participants
- Dinner homemade food, in the summer there are often braai’s (BBQ)
The project does cater for vegetarians, please indicate this on your application form when applying.
2019: Please note: If you apply in 2019 to start in 2020 you will still receive the rates below!
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Port Elizabeth airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
2019: (Please note: If you book in 2019 to start in 2020 we will still give you the below rate)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+349€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+600€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+890€)