Community Program for Children & Adults with disabilities
The program was created in 2009 to address the needs of children & adults living with impairments in the Overberg rural communities. Resources in these areas are scarce & many a times inaccessible to families with members that live with impairments. The program aims to educate families to take proper care of their impaired family member & offer emotional support by connecting these families and many a times mothers with one another.
- Arrive and depart from Cape Town
- Minimum age requirement of 18
- Volunteer 2 – 52 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- 1 Night in Cape Town included
- All project transport included
- Accommodation & meals provided
- Price starting from 513€ (2019)
The program offers children living with impairments the chance to be part of a daycare setting. Young adults are offered skills workshops on how to create items from everyday materials, like seashells, which they can resell in order to create an employment opportunity for themselves & play an active role in their families and consequently gain self-worth.
The individuals partaking in the services of this program come from various backgrounds & cultural groups. It will provide travelers with a look into the true Rainbow Nation of South Africa.
Volunteer tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting the adults with disabilities with arts and crafts projects which will assist in fundraising.
- Presenting physical activities to children with disabilities at the daycare.
- Assist with filing of documentation, doing social media management, typing out documents.
- Accompany staff on home visits in the community to identify people with disabilities and their needs.
- Maintenance at the office (painting, restoring old furniture)
- Attending fundraising events in the community.
- Assist with the planning and execution of programs like fun days for the children or socializing events for young adults.
- Distribution of food and clothing which is donated.
- Accompany the clients with disabilities on outings
- The program is also involved in the building of wheelchair ramps at identified underprivileged households where it is necessary to make the home more accessible for the impaired individual.
Volunteers work from Mondays – Fridays from 09:00 – 17:00 & occasional weekends & evenings for which time off will be arranged.
Requirements to volunteer at this project:
- Individuals should be 18 years or older
- Submit a police clearance certificate before arrival in South Africa;
- Males & Females can apply
- Individuals to submit a short motivational letter explaining the reason why they would like to volunteer in this program
- Individuals should be openminded, kindhearted, patient & eager to learn & teach
Important information regarding the project:
- How many volunteers can attend this project? 8 Volunteers can attend this project at any given time.
- Which languages are mainly spoken at the project? Afrikaans & English
- What options are there for volunteers to spend their free time? Whale watching (in-season), Shark cage diving, Sea Kayaking, Wine tasting, Sandboarding and loads of activities in Cape Town (Only 2 hours away by car)
In this program, you have the choice between hostel accommodation or staying with a host family in the community.
Hostel accommodation includes:
- Shared or private accommodation available
- Wifi (internet)
- Bedding & pillows provided
- Each room has a heater and a fan
Facilities at the hostel include:
- Guest kitchen
- Barbeque area
- Complimentary tea & coffee
- Safe parking if you have a rental car
- Satellite television (South African version of SKY)
- Fireplace in the lounge area
- Laundry service is available at an extra charge per load
- Hairdryers can be found in each room
- Towels on arrival (please bring your own swimming towel)
Host family accommodation:
Staying with the host family will provide you with the chance to experience South African living at its core. The host family is an older couple with Christian values.
Host family accommodation includes:
- Own bedroom with access to a private bathroom.
- The kitchen & lounge area in the main house is shared.
- laundry -and cleaning services are included in the fee.
- The family offers volunteers 3 meals per day of which one is a packed lunch. (Breakfast, lunch & dinner)
The family has a very friendly dog called “Sheena”. The couple is well-known & respected in their community and highly recommended by the program. There is no internet access, but volunteers can purchase mobile data for their South African sim card.
Host family option:
Extra weeks: 67€ per week (Maximum 52 weeks)
Hostel option: (Dorm room option)
If you would like to stay in a single or double room, please let us know when applying.
Extra weeks: 110€ per week (Maximum 52 weeks)
Calculate the fees in your own currency
Calculate the fees in your own currency
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Hoedspruit airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
If you want to stay longer than 3 months (12 weeks) a “Volunteer Visa” will be required. – We can assist you in the whole process
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
2019: (Please note: If you book in 2019, to start in 2020, we will still give you the below rates)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+349€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+600€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+890€)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (To be released 01 December 2019)