Conservation of Cheetahs program
- Minimum age requirement of 18.
- Volunteer 1 – 12 weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All transport to project included
- Meals provided
- Price starting from 847€ (2019)
Volunteers can expect to get involved in the following aspects:
- Food preparation & feeding (Please keep in mind you will work with raw meat)
- Cleaning of camps & refilling of the water bowls
- Creating enrichment for the animals
- Educating the public by assisting staff with certain tours
- Carrying out own guided tours (If English level is sufficient)
- Take part in group activities
- Maintenance and inspection of camps
The working hours:
Volunteers receive 2 free days per week, regardless of the length of stay. When the workday is completed, you can relax and enjoy your time with the other volunteers.
November to April
- 07:00 AM – 09:30 AM Cleaning of the cages and feeding of animals
- 09:30 AM – 10:00 AM Meeting for day planning
- 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM Group activities, working directly with the animals or tours
- 12:00 PM – 14:00 PM Lunch break
- 14:00 PM – 18:00 PM Tours, feeding of the animals and/or enrichment of the animals
May to October
- 08:00 AM – 09:30 AM Cleaning of the camps and feeding of animals
- 09:30 AM – 10:00 AM Meeting for day planning
- 10:00 AM – 13:00 PM Group activities, working directly with the animals or tours
- 13:00 PM – 14:00 PM Lunch break
- 14:00 PM – 17:30 PM Tours, feeding of the animals and/or enrichment of the animals
Cheetah release program at Game reserve near Port Elizabeth
If you stay a minimum of 4 weeks at the project, you will have the unique opportunity to participate in the “Wilding” and “release” program which is done in partnership with a local reserve located near Port Elizabeth. Please keep in mind that you will only be considered for this part of the program after you have done the adequate training at the project in Cape Town. This is to ensure volunteers are well prepared when they start at the reserve.
There are no additional costs for this part of the program, you will only be liable to pay your transport (either flight or bus) to get to the reserve in Port Elizabeth. We are able to assist you if needed.
Below you can find an example of the weekly program at the reserve.
Early morning session
05h00 – 08h00
09h00 – 12h00
14h00 – 17h00
|Monday||Key Species Monitoring||Cheetah Conservation||Road and dam maintenance|
|Tuesday||Key Species Monitoring||Cheetah Conservation||Bush clearing|
|Wednesday||Key Species Monitoring||Foundation Support||Town trip / Off / Game Drive|
|Thursday||Key Species Monitoring||Cheetah Conservation||Boma maintenance|
|Friday||Key Species Monitoring||Cheetah Conservation||Fence maintenance|
|Saturday||Key Species Monitoring||Spekboom Planting||Town trip / Off / game Drive|
|Sunday||Off day||Off day||Off day|
The wilding project:
The project aims to rehabiliate captive raised cheetahs who are unrelated to animals in the Cheetah Metapopulation and release them back in to the wild (protected areas) once they are deemed to be fit for survival.
The release project:
By releasing new bloodlines of cheetahs in to the the protected wild, it helps to increase the genetic lineages to effectively strenghten the wild Cheetah population. The whole process is strictly regulated and is done with a lot of research.
Important facts regarding the project:
- Any special features to keep in mind when choosing this project? Must be physically able and fit to complete all required tasks. The area of the project is Malaria-free, but it is advised to get vaccinations against tetanus and hepatitis A and B.
- When did the project start? They started in 2016.
- How many volunteers can help? 12 Volunteers can attend the project at any given time.
The volunteer house was built with the idea of comfort and enjoyment. It includes a large central living area with a communal kitchen, living room, TV, dining room and a lovely outside BBQ area by the terrace.
There are several double and single rooms, with 2 shared bathrooms as well as 2 outdoor showers (for those warm summer months) The volunteer coordinator stays in a apartment located next to the volunteer house, and is responsible for the volunteers in the areas of:
- Ensure volunteers are taken care of.
- Assist with any additional activities you might want to partake in.
- Ensure volunteers gets all their meals.
The house is cleaned on a regular basis, but the project does expect volunteers to keep a certain level of cleanliness while staying at the volunteer house.
Breakfast and lunch are always provided by the project. For dinners, volunteers are expected to cook for themselves. With the kitchen being fully equipped, volunteers are advised to cook together and effectively share the costs involved.
Coffee and tea available throughout the whole day, there will be opportunities (twice a week) to go shopping for food, drinks, snacks and other necessities.
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at Cape Town international airport
- 1 Night Hostel accommodation in Cape Town including breakfast
- Orientation on-site
- All project related transport with Claim Victory
- All project related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities as stipulated in the information)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
2019: (Please note: If you book in 2019 to start in 2020 we will still give you the below rate)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+349€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+600€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+890€)
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (To be released 01 December 2019)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (To be released 01 December 2019)