This volunteer project is located near Tzaneen, in the Limpopo region in the north of South Africa and is the world’s largest centre for monkeys. The foundation has been around for almost 30 years and it also has a lot of experience with volunteers.
The project is home to around 500 monkeys and takes in many orphans every year. Mainly orphaned, injured and abused monkeys are taken in and lovingly raised. During the baby season (November to February) there is an opportunity for the volunteers to work with baby monkeys and watch them being taken in by foster mothers. Attempts are made to ensure that every baby is healthy. During the youth season (March to October) the volunteers can be there when the young monkeys are integrated into the community.
- Duration: 2 – 12 Weeks
- Region: Limpopo, South Africa
- Price per person: From 1115€ – 2725€
- Included: Transfers, Accommodation, Meals, and Volunteer Activities.
- Physical Work 90% 90%
- Feeding 55% 55%
- Rehabilitation 51% 51%
Role of the volunteer
As a volunteer in this project, you will work with up to 25 other volunteers mostly from 7 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon. The tasks are very diverse and depend on the respective season.
Your typical work could look like this:
- Collecting, preparing and distributing the food for the monkeys
- Care of the baby monkeys
- Watch the monkeys and write reports
- Cleaning the cages and food bowls
- Assistance with the introduction and acclimatization of monkeys
- Assistance with educational programs
- Participate in fundraising and design newsletters
- Help with building new enclosures
- and much more
Please note that the tasks can be adapted to the needs of the project.
Important facts regarding the project:
- Is the area Malaria-free? The project is situated in a low-risk Malaria area. Be sure to speak to your local doctor in regards to medication.
- When did the project start? The project started in 1993.
- How many volunteers can help? 25 Volunteers can help at any given time.
Accommodation & Meals
Accommodation is in a wooden hut for two people on the project site (no electricity).
There is also the option of a private hut for a surcharge (for couples or those who just want a little more privacy).
There are communal showers (there is hot water available) and toilets. Accommodation includes standard beds, pillows are provided, but you should bring your sleeping bag with you if possible. There are definitely ways to do the laundry. Internet is available on the project site, but not in the huts.
- 3 Vegan Meals provided daily (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Tea, Coffee and safe drinking water provided
Please note: Any extra snacks, alcohol, or soft drinks will be for your own cost and can be purchased during your weekly trip to town.
Volunteering Fees 2021includes transfers, accommodation, meals, and volunteer activities
- 2 Weeks: 1115€
- 3 Weeks: 1115€
- 4 Weeks: 1115€
- 5 Weeks: 1319€
- 6 Weeks: 1519€
- 7 Weeks: 1719€
- 8 Weeks: 1919€
- 9 Weeks: 2120€
- 10 Weeks: 2325€
- 11 Weeks: 2525€
- 12 Weeks: 2725€
The Booking Process
1. Complete our FREE application form
Complete our free online application form indicating when you would like to start and how long you want to participate. We will respond to your request within 24 hours.
2. We send you a invoice and contract
Once we have confirmation of your placement, we will send a invoice and service agreement. You will have two weeks to accept the offer.
3. Deposit payment to secure your booking
Once you have paid the 250€ deposit, we will confirm your placement. The balance of your invoice is only payable two weeks prior to arrival.
At Claim Victory, we understand that booking a trip abroad may seem stressful due to the global pandemic. We offer our participants flexible conditions, to give you peace of mind when booking with us:
- Full refund or Date Change if your trip is affected by COVID-19 related reasons (Illness, border closures, etc.)
- Cancellation 4+ Weeks prior to arrival = 150€ cancellation fee
- Cancellation 4 weeks or less prior to arrival = 200€ cancellation fee