Wildlife welfare and research
South Africa often faces the problem of conflict between humans and animals. This is due to many factors such as farming and land development just to mention a few.
The Private reserve offers a second chance towards wildlife who require help and protection. The aim is to release as many animals as possible after their rehabilitation or recovery, and those animals who can not be released back in to the wild welcomes the reserve as their new home.
- Minimum age requirement of 16
- Volunteer for 1 – 12 Weeks
- Airport transfers included
- All transport to project included
- Accommodation provided
- Meals provided
- Price starting from 760€ (2019)
The other aspect of volunteering at the project is research. Expect to get involved in research areas such as determining the state of health, observing the animals mating behavior and many more.
Working days can be long and warm and every long with everyday providing a lot of activities. You will have the chance to meet like-minded individuals from all over the world, and possibly build friendships which will last a lifetime.
Summary of tasks:
Tasks are divided into groups and rotation takes place every day. This ensures that each volunteers gets the opportunity to take part in every activity:
- Food preparation and feeding
- Maintenance of fences
- Supervision and care of younger animals
- Assisting with construction of new buildings and/or stables
- Research – Analysis of video recordings, installation of new cameras, data collection, animal counts, etc.
The Meerkat station
The reserve has set itself the goal of protecting the habitat of the Meerkat population located in the area. Meerkats normally live in harsh conditions of the open and semi-desert plains of Southern Africa. They are famously known for their upright posture and social demeanor.
Summary to tasks relating to the Meerkat program:
• Determining the survival rate of Meerkat babies
• Measuring the size of the area of the animals
• Determining the litter size
• When and how Meerkats set up their own family
• Life span of the Meerkats
• How often do females give birth each year?
• Type of insects they eat
• Research social behavior
The working hours:
- Work days are Mondays – Fridays (8 hours each day) with enough breaks and free time
- Saturdays various activities are offered
- Sundays are leisure time
Important facts regarding the project:
- Any special features to keep in mind when choosing this project? You should be physically able to complete all tasks and of course have a big passion for animals. Please keep in mind that the project work may be exhausting.
- Should I bring Malaria medication? The project is located in a Malaria-free region of South Africa. No medication needed.
- When did the project start? The project was founded in 2006.
- How many volunteers can participate? 20 volunteers at any given time.
You will receive 3 meals per day:
- Breakfast (Cereals, bread etc.)
- Lunch (Pasta, wraps, burgers etc.)
- Dinner (Meat with vegetables and rice etc)
Tea & Coffee are available the whole day. You can also buy snacks from a small shop located at the project.
Please be sure to inform us of any dietary requirements you might have. (Vegetarian etc.) The project is able to cater for all dietary needs of a volunteer.
- Placement at project personally visited & approved by a Claim Victory member.
- Detailed information & service package with all needed information
- Flight advice & checking of travel insurance
- List of fellow travelers who will be joining you at the project
- Airport transfers (Pick up & drop off) at George airport
- All project-related transport
- All project-related costs (Accommodation, meals & activities)
- Dedicated volunteer coordinator located on-site at the project
- 24/7 Local emergency assist number of Claim Victory
- Feedback/Debriefing (Optional)
- Certificate of volunteering (Optional)
Want to get the most out of your visit to South Africa? Why not add a tour to your adventure!
- 7 Day Cape Town experience (+348€)
- 7 Day Garden route adventure (+599€)
- 14 Day Cape Town & Garden route combo (+830€)